If you like to camp, you are not alone. Every year, people around the country spend about $1.8 billion on camping equipment at sporting goods stores. In 2012, about 67% of all campers stayed in public campgrounds. Most people who go camping say they are going to go again. If your family has never gone camping together, there are some things you can do to make it more fun.
- Plan a trial run. If you have young children, you may want to do a dry run in your backyard before you get out into the actual wilderness. What you can do is go to the sporting goods store and get a tent or two. Set them up in your backyard and spend a weekend out there with your kids. You should also set up your grill and eat the kinds of foods you will eat on your camping trip. This will give them the experience of sleeping in a sleeping bad and experiencing what it is like to sleep in a tent.
- Decide how far you want to go. Most people drive to their camping location. Decide how far you want to travel to your campground.There are great state and national parks in every state in the country so you should be able to find one that has all the things you want and the amenities that you need.
- Research where you are going. What kind of activities does your family enjoy? Are you really into rock climbing? What about scuba diving? Are you looking for campgrounds that have paddle boating? What about bouldering? You need to look at what kind of activities you and your family may like and how far you want to go when you pick out your campgrounds or the park. Make sure you have time to head by the sporting goods store and see what facilities they would recommend.
- Decide what kind of camping you want to do. Tent camping is the most popular kind of camping but that does not mean it is the only kind of camping that is available to you. You can rent an RV or find a campsite that offers cabins. These can be very luxurious or they can be very basic. Not everyone can take to sleeping in a tent and in a sleeping bag, though the local sporting goods store does have a lot of ways to make tent camping very comfortable. Talk to your family about what they would like to do and make your decision based on that.
- Plan all of your meals. No matter how you camp, you are going to want to eat. The main difference between camping in a tent and in a cabin will be how you prepare and store your food. If you are camping in a tent, you will need to take precautions so that bears and other wildlife are not attracted to your food and get into your tent. No food should ever be kept in the tent. Plan each meal. Plan for some snacks. You can precook some of your food, like potatoes at home. Do whatever prep work you can manage before you leave for your trip. Remember to bring bags and other containers to bring all of your trash out with you.
- Plan for bad weather. No matter how well you plan your trip, you may have to contend with rain. Bring games and books and fun things to do. Do not let your family use rain as an excuse to get onto their mobile devices. This should be a time to bond with your family. Social media will be there when you get back from vacation. Talk to the staff of the campsite about what attractions are in the area and what indoor activities they might recommend.
- Bring the right gear. When you are thinking about the things you like to do, make sure you get the right gear for everything. Make a checklist and take it with you to the sporting goods store.
Taking a family camping trip can be a great way to bond with the important people in your life. You can make the most of the experience with these tips.